In accordance with the Control of Asbestos Regulation 2012 (CAR 2012) there are now two main types of survey (asbestos management surveys and refurb and demolition surveys):
- Asbestos Management Surveys (previously known as Type 2)
- Refurbishment & Demolition Survey (previously known as Type 3)
Asbestos Management Surveys
Previous known as “Type 2Survey”, the management survey was introduced as part of the updated asbestos survey guidance (HSG264 Asbestos – The Survey Guide).
The main purpose of this survey is to locate/identify the presence and extent of any Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) in the premises, where damage might be susceptible during day to day operations or by light maintenance activities.
The management survey will often include minor building material sampling (analysis by a UKAS accredited laboratory) of suspect materials, although some materials/areas will not be able to be sampled and therefore must be presumed until proven otherwise. The survey will also include all areas inspected, a risk register, material algorithm assessments of condition of the various ACM’s identified (if any) and asbestos location drawings. Upon completion of this survey it will provide a basis to prepare an asbestos management plan as required under the regulation 4 of the CAR 2012 (duty to manage).
BSafe offer bespoke management plans tailored to individual client needs and requirements.
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR 2012) state that all duty holders with known or presumed asbestos within their premises must have an effective written asbestos management plan in place.
What is your understanding of a Management Plan?
An asbestos management plan is a document that identifies the risk posed by asbestos materials present and sets out specific procedures to assist in the controlling of such risks. under regulation 4 of the CAR regulations a management plan is a regulatory requirement and must be compiled in accordance with the information found within the asbestos surveys to ensuring effective management of the asbestos. An asbestos management plan will typically include:
- Policies and procedures for emergencies, refurbishments, day-to-day operations and for less usual work or tasks
- Key asbestos information – usually from an asbestos survey
- Risk assessments of each occurrence of asbestos
- Action plan
- Monitoring & re-inspection regimes
- Training requirements
- Roles & responsibilities
- Dissemination of information
- Duties of the Asbestos Co-ordinator
Our Management Plan Team
BSafe have a dedicated department that works with our clients to produce bespoke plans. A member of our team can contact you to discuss your requirements for asbestos management, your responsibilities and any existing arrangements in place.
Are you unsure of your current position?
If you are unsure of where your company stands regarding compliance, we offer a free compliance audit check to ascertain whether you are compliant with the current legislative requirements.
With a understanding of your current situations and needs, we would be able to produce a tailored asbestos management plan in accordance with current regulations that will help you to manage the asbestos within your property compliantly and proportionately to the risk.
In addition, we are able to offer an implementation meeting to aid the initial setup of the processes involved in the management of asbestos materials. We also offer reviews of your management plan on a six-monthly basis to ensure your ongoing compliance with legislation.
Key steps to your asbestos management plan:
- Consultation/audit to assess your requirements and needs
- Review of existing data and arrangements if required following the audit process
- Preparation of asbestos management plan
- Review of your plan with you to discuss its impact and ensure recommendations meet with your needs
- Meeting with you to explain the details of the management plan and its implementation
- Six-monthly review of management plan – a service we can offer you or you can conduct in-house.
For further information on how we can assist you or for guidance click here or contact us on 02034784000 or 07876 406292